Thursday, June 28, 2012

Glambitous Life: GirlSense shutting down?

***Note: This is not one of my normal blogs. But I feel that I need to express my opinion on this, as this was once a huge part of my life, and has contributed a little to who I am now. This is also my first personal blog on this site which I will be calling Glambitious Life.*** 



A couple of years ago, I was a member of the website GirlSense, a social fashion network for girls (and boys too.) I joined on December 14, 2007, back when I was in 7th grade. The website was practically my life for almost 3 years. GirlSense was a creative outlet for me, not only to create clothes, but other art as well. I felt as if I was a pretty designer too, ha. GirlSense was also a way for me to find friends, especially since I was a rather awkward child back then. I had a great group of friends, and one friendship even turned into a relationship that lasted over a year. I would have been devastated to just have all of that ripped away from me all at once, heartbroken even. GirlSense was who I was back in 7th- 9th grade. It was GirlSense that gave me the passion to become a blogger and soon a YouTuber. 

I don't really get on GirlSense much anymore, and when I do I don't really play on it. But somehow, this still seems to really affect me. I got on GirlSense last night, just to see what's going on and I saw on the front page that GirlSense is shutting down on July 18th, 2012, with no explanation. So I did a little research to find out why the website that had been my life at one point is closing. From what I have found, it mostly has to do with money problems. It seems that GirlSense's biggest sponsors, IAC and StarNet, are backing out of their sponsorship and they can't get enough money to run the site from advertisements. They would rather shut down the site than have users pay for membership. 



Browsing around a bit, I have found many users who want to try to save the site. Putting messages in their boutiques, and even creating petitions to save the site. I know this would have been my reaction a few years ago, but to be honest, it probably won't change anything, though it is always worth a try. The decision seems to be final though. The least GirlSense could do is give an explanation as to why they are shutting down the site. Whether it be money or another reason. 

I may have moved on from GirlSense, especially as I'm going into my senior year of high school, but it will always be a part of me. I can not deny those 3 years of my life, and I am saddened that it is shutting down. I know that GirlSense means a lot to many people of all ages, and they are devastated to see it come to an end. Anyone would be sad to have their favorite website, or any part of their life taken away from them. GirlSense has given so many people a way to express themselves, and has connected so many people into close friendships. Friendships that may be coming to an end if GirlSense is their only way to communicate. 

Feel free to leave your thoughts on the closing of GirlSense, or any other website in the comments. If you need anyone to talk to, feel free to leave a comment and I'll be sure to get back to you. 


~♥~♥~♥~ *Update: 7/10/12 *~♥~♥~♥~
A Message From GirlSense

In the past week I've been visiting GirlSense frequently looking for more information about the GirlSense shutdown, or to see if anything has changed. GirlSense has released the following message in regards to the shutdown. 


If you are a GirlSense member, and would like to save your fashions from GirlSense, a website called toosh.net has been created where you can save your fashions to your computer. Please be aware that this may no longer work after GirlSense has shutdown on July 18th. 

6 comments:

  1. I am still sad about girlsense shutting down, it was a big part of my life for so many years and then one day it was just gone. It was actually the first website i ever went on and made an account on so it was pretty special to me. I still check it every once in a while to see if anything has changed :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish girlsense could be borought back. It was one of the best online games I've ever played and I miss it a lot. I'll never forget the fun I had while designing my own clothing and boutique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love this website.. When will it come back?

    ReplyDelete
  4. man I still miss this game so much. me and my sister would literally play all the time. it was my favorite website growing up and one day it just disappeared. as a kid I would have still paid for a membership if that meant that I could still play on it.😩

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m soooo sad this website closed down along with Fantage. I used to get on both of them every day for so many years. Here I am 25 years old trying to search it. Haven’t been on it in about 10 or so years and miss it so much Smhh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really miss girl sense i check every year to see if they brought it back :/

    ReplyDelete